Skip to main content

Standing For Something

President Gordon B. Hinckley, our latter-day prophet wrote a book called Standing For Something. In this book there are 10 virtues that we can obtain to heal our hearts and homes. In one of the last chapters "We can save our nation by saving our homes" he starts with saying,
“Society’s problems arise, almost without exception, out of the homes of the people. If there is to be a reformation, if there is to be a change, if there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home.”

Within this chapter he lists 10 things that he says can change the problems that are arising in society.
1.) Accept responsibility for our role as parents and fulfill our obligations to our children.
2.) Get married and stay married.
3.) Put the father back at the head of the home.
4.) Recognize and value the supreme importance of mothers.
5.) Celebrate and treat children as our most priceless treasures.
6.) Discipline and train children with love.
7.) Teach values to children.
8.) Teach children to work.
9.) Read to and with children.
10.) Pray together.

He goes more in depth on each one of those which I really believe can help us return to old and sacred values. I'd like to just mention a couple things from this chapter which really stood out to me.

Children are shaped very easily and the older they get the more difficult they are to shape.
President Hinckley tells a story which many of you might have heard but this was my first time hearing it and I really loved it. When Marjorie and him built their first home they planted a thornless honey locust. The tree was only a wisp of a tree, and he could bend it with ease in any direction. He soon forgot about the tree for a time and one winter day he noticed it leaning awkwardly to the west, misshapen and out of balance. He tried to push the tree upright but to no avail, he then tried to pull the tree upright but still the tree didn’t budge. Gordon B. Hinckley says that it seemed like the tree was saying “You can’t straighten me. It’s too late. I’ve grown this way because of your neglect, and I will not bend.” He then cut off the heavy branch on the west side, the major part of the tree. He said that when the tree was first planted, a piece of string would have held it straight against the forces of the wind. He should have and could have supplied that string with ever so little effort. But he did not, and it bent to the forces that came against it. President Hinckley goes on to say that children are like trees, when they are young, their lives can be shaped and directed, usually without much difficulty. It’s important to show love, example, and correct precept in the rearing of those for whom God has given us sacred responsibility. There is a need for discipline within families, President Hinckley says, but there is never justification for discipline with severity, with cruelty, with bitterness, with anger. It cures nothing and only aggravates the problem. He says:
“The primary training, the most effective training, the most persuasive and permanent training of children finds its roots in the home. If the home inflicts harshness, abuse, uncontrolled anger, dishonesty, immorality, and disloyalty, the fruits will be certain and discernible and, in all likelihood, repeated in the generation that follows. If, on the other hand, there is forbearance, forgiveness, respect, consideration, kindness, mercy, and compassion, the fruits again will be discernible and they will be rewarding. The example of wise, fair, honest, and loving parents will do more than anything else in impressing on the minds of children the important principles they need to adopt in their own lives.”
Now we do have those parents that have taught with an outpouring of love and a diligent and faithful effort to teach their children but the children still go wayward. Hinckley has sympathy for you and quotes the words of Ezekiel:
“The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son.”

Reading this book has strengthened my testimony in our latter-day prophet. I truly believe that he communicates with God. The prophet gives counsel and if we live it we will be happy. I believe that God as well as our prophet knows that children are precious gifts from God. They are greater than any kind of material wealth. They deserve our best.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's such a great message to read. I think I need to read this about twice a week and then it might help me to remember to be more reasonable. :) Kids are such a great treasure. There's nothing better.
Diana

Popular posts from this blog

A Noteworthy Quote

"But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions.(see 1 kings 18:21) President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had 'never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional or political life.' "This is hard doctrine, but it is particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. . . . Your discipleship may see the time when such religious convictions are discounted. . . . This new irreligious imperialism seeks to disallow certain opinions simply because those opinions grow out of religious convictions. "Resistance to abortion

Beyond Grateful

I feel a strong urge to shout out my gratefulness to God. I keep thinking today of how blessed I am. I feel so incredibly blessed. I am so happy that I have the knowledge that God is watching over me and helps me find my way. I am so overjoyed that I know, without a single doubt, that He is there for me and everyone else. My crazy life has been in shambles for a long time and yesterday felt like it couldn't get much worse. But today I feel so calm and ready to face my future with optimism. I could have chosen different ways to deal with my problems, but I am glad that I chose this one. I know that I would not feel this peaceful feeling if I chose any other way. I understand better when the prophets in the scriptures talk about having a desire to proclaim the gospel to everyone. Why wouldn't you want to feel such happiness? Any worldly way cannot bring ultimate and long term happiness. So I want to repeat what those prophets have said, "Come unto Christ." He has gone t

Inspiring Scripture

I just wanted to write that I am so grateful for all that I'm blessed with. I feel so lucky to have the gift of the Holy Ghost. I can't imagine making such big decisions without guidance from the Holy Ghost. Last night I read 2 Nephi 24. One scripture stood out more than the rest. Verse 3: And it shall come to pass in that day that the Lord shall give thee rest, from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve. Heavenly Father talks to us in different ways. Through other people, the Holy Ghost, and from the scriptures. I know that the Lord was talking to me through the scriptures and it gave me such great comfort. Anyone can pray to Heavenly Father. It doesn't matter where you are in life. He wants to hear from us. He loves us so much.