Skip to main content

Quote

It has been way too long since I've posted anything. I came across this quote last night and thought I'd share. It is from John A. Widtsoe.

"Knowledge made alive and useful, that is intelligence;
and intelligence in action, that is power."

It is from a talk he gave called "Temple Worship" and it first appeared in Utah Genealogical and Historical Magazine, April 1921. I have only gotten through half of the talk and it is very good so far. It has given me more insight of the purpose of the temple and why it is so important. I already knew this but it goes deeper.

I love seeing the temple. It is something that I love to stare at and be amazed by how beautiful and sacred it is. I was attending the temple a couple times a month before I moved and I haven't been able to go since November. I miss it and can't wait to get there soon. It's a little less convenient here. Before I was only 15 minutes away. Now it would take an hour or more, depending on traffic, to get there. There are many people who are a lot farther away who go all the time so I shouldn't complain. 

It is wonderful to have a place on this earth that gives me such peace. Heavenly Father really does love all of us. Isn't that so wonderful to know? He loves us more than we could comprehend. 

Comments

Patty said…
That was a great reminder, thanks. We are very close to the temple here in Logan and that is my new goal to go more often.
I really like that quote. Very profound.

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal Potential

"I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks). It is our faith that as sons and daughters of God, we have the potential to become like him. Satan likes it when we doubt this. He doesn't want us to believe we have potential to become better than we are. He wants us to fall. My question is whether it is my own mind that makes me doubt or if it is Satan. Maybe it's both. I do have the tendency to doubt that I could have so much potential.  I am always getting those voices in my head that give me doubt. I get an idea to do something and if I don't hurry and do it, I doubt myself, then I talk myself out of it. Why is it so easy to put ourselves down? Is that Satan or is it ourselves? I have so many ideas of things that I want to accomplish but I don't get them done because I can't keep that motivation. It's frustrating. I build my motivation again and then I lose it. It...

Lectures on Faith

"When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected, they are like him; and because he is saved, they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is."

Elder Bednar

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts from last night. I was really lucky to go and see Elder Bednar speak. He didn't prepare a talk, he just opened it up for questions. One of the questions was something like, "How can we apply the atonement more fully in our lives?" I was excited to hear his response when he mentioned my favorite scripture, Mosiah 3:19. He said that the natural man is selfish and wants whatever he desires right then and no later. It is hard to overcome the natural man. In fact we cannot do it on our own. We need the Saviors help to "become a saint" by applying the atonement to our lives. The atonement doesn't only deal with forgiveness for our sins. It gives strengthening power. Elder Bednar also went to Mosiah 24: 13-15. In verse 13 it mentions the covenants we make and the covenants that the Lord makes. The promises Heavenly Father has made to us when we do our part are so wonderful. I'm sure if I could remember those pr...