Skip to main content

A Great Example to Me

I have been reading about the Anti-Nephi-Lehies with my kids and today I was lucky to teach the 4 year olds in church about them. This chapter is one of my favorites.

I was thinking of the swords and how they are symbols for our countenances. These evil people repented and made their "swords bright" when they were baptized. They promised Heavenly Father they would never raise their sword to another person. So now, the bad men are coming to get them and their lives are in jeopardy. Isn't it right to defend yourselves and your family? That's the logical thing to do. They made a promise to Heavenly Father. They could have easily justified it and tried to protect themselves but they stayed faithful to those promises. They had a knowledge of the atonement and did not want to jeopardize their salvation. They cared more for their salvation than their lives. They buried those swords to show Heavenly Father they were faithful to their promises. Even when one thousand people were killed, they stayed true to their promise.

Now this story is an example to me that I should be looking at my salvation before I make other decisions in this life. I want my sword to be bright and clean before Jesus Christ. That is amazing faith that I need to work hard to gain. I know I have faith but do I have enough faith that I would bury my only protection when men are coming to take away my life and my children's life? It's a little different when it is my children's lives. I hope I would do the right thing. If I was focused on how happy I want to be after I die, I would do the right thing. In these bodies, we lose sight of that. So I need to make sure I'm reminded of the happiness I feel when I feel the Spirit every day. That is how I want to feel after I die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal Potential

"I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks). It is our faith that as sons and daughters of God, we have the potential to become like him. Satan likes it when we doubt this. He doesn't want us to believe we have potential to become better than we are. He wants us to fall. My question is whether it is my own mind that makes me doubt or if it is Satan. Maybe it's both. I do have the tendency to doubt that I could have so much potential.  I am always getting those voices in my head that give me doubt. I get an idea to do something and if I don't hurry and do it, I doubt myself, then I talk myself out of it. Why is it so easy to put ourselves down? Is that Satan or is it ourselves? I have so many ideas of things that I want to accomplish but I don't get them done because I can't keep that motivation. It's frustrating. I build my motivation again and then I lose it. It...

Lectures on Faith

"When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected, they are like him; and because he is saved, they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is."

Elder Bednar

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts from last night. I was really lucky to go and see Elder Bednar speak. He didn't prepare a talk, he just opened it up for questions. One of the questions was something like, "How can we apply the atonement more fully in our lives?" I was excited to hear his response when he mentioned my favorite scripture, Mosiah 3:19. He said that the natural man is selfish and wants whatever he desires right then and no later. It is hard to overcome the natural man. In fact we cannot do it on our own. We need the Saviors help to "become a saint" by applying the atonement to our lives. The atonement doesn't only deal with forgiveness for our sins. It gives strengthening power. Elder Bednar also went to Mosiah 24: 13-15. In verse 13 it mentions the covenants we make and the covenants that the Lord makes. The promises Heavenly Father has made to us when we do our part are so wonderful. I'm sure if I could remember those pr...