Skip to main content

Testimony

This evening I listened to the General Conference talk by Jeffrey R. Holland and it made me realize that I need to share my testimony more often. His testimony was so bold of the Book of Mormon and of the prophets, I felt the spirit very strong. I really do believe that by sharing our testimonies with others, our testimonies are then strengthened.
PRAYER:
Ever since I was a young girl I believed that God heard and answered my prayers. I remember particular times in my childhood that I would pray for safety and I didn't always receive safety at that time but I never felt sad, thinking that God didn't answer my prayer. I always knew that He did or would in some way or another. I remember particular times when I was a young adult and lost my license or school ID and would pray for help finding them and my prayers were answered. I also realize now that my prayers aren't always answered the way that I expect but I still have a strong belief that they are being heard and that God will answer them in His own way and time.
JOSEPH SMITH:
I became a member of the church when I was 12 but wasn't always consistently active throughout my younger years. When I was a teenager getting ready for college I thought I had a testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. I never really prayed if he was a true prophet but I felt good about it. After I graduated with my associates I went on a trip to the Sacred Grove and the Carthage Jail with a good friend of mine. I remember specifically praying if Joseph Smith was a true prophet and if he really did translate the Book of Mormon. I received a confirmation from the Holy Ghost so strong that I never denied it again. I absolutely believe that Joseph Smith was inspired by God, that he translated the Book of Mormon with the help of God, and that he was a true prophet.
There are so many other principles that I have a testimony of: families can really live together forever, Thomas S. Monson is a true latter-day prophet, God loves each of us and knows us individually, and the church is the true church.
I won't go into detail with all the other things that I believe since I'm sure you wouldn't read all of it but I hope that at least these few things can strengthen your own testimony and if not, they have at least strengthened mine.

Comments

Michelle said…
Thank you for your testimony. I would love to go to the sacred grove and experience that moment. We talked about that in church today. I know that I don't need that experience to have a testimony of Joseph Smith. It would just confirm the testimony of him.

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal Potential

"I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks). It is our faith that as sons and daughters of God, we have the potential to become like him. Satan likes it when we doubt this. He doesn't want us to believe we have potential to become better than we are. He wants us to fall. My question is whether it is my own mind that makes me doubt or if it is Satan. Maybe it's both. I do have the tendency to doubt that I could have so much potential.  I am always getting those voices in my head that give me doubt. I get an idea to do something and if I don't hurry and do it, I doubt myself, then I talk myself out of it. Why is it so easy to put ourselves down? Is that Satan or is it ourselves? I have so many ideas of things that I want to accomplish but I don't get them done because I can't keep that motivation. It's frustrating. I build my motivation again and then I lose it. It...

Lectures on Faith

"When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected, they are like him; and because he is saved, they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is."

Elder Bednar

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts from last night. I was really lucky to go and see Elder Bednar speak. He didn't prepare a talk, he just opened it up for questions. One of the questions was something like, "How can we apply the atonement more fully in our lives?" I was excited to hear his response when he mentioned my favorite scripture, Mosiah 3:19. He said that the natural man is selfish and wants whatever he desires right then and no later. It is hard to overcome the natural man. In fact we cannot do it on our own. We need the Saviors help to "become a saint" by applying the atonement to our lives. The atonement doesn't only deal with forgiveness for our sins. It gives strengthening power. Elder Bednar also went to Mosiah 24: 13-15. In verse 13 it mentions the covenants we make and the covenants that the Lord makes. The promises Heavenly Father has made to us when we do our part are so wonderful. I'm sure if I could remember those pr...