Skip to main content

Leadership Meeting

I was lucky to be able to attend a leadership meeting yesterday (December 2, 2023) Flagstaff with Elder Steven D. Shumway, Elder Michael A. Dunn, and Elder D. Todd Christofferson. Life has been pretty darn hard this year. I have felt very low this week. The hour and a half drive was worth it if I could get even a small moment of peace. Of course, I heard so much that I needed to hear. Things I needed to be reminded, and things that I needed to learn. 

This list of things that stood out to me probably wouldn't help anyone else. I know that I learn best when I can write what I have learned and get a better understanding from it. I am very forgetful and have a hard time reiterating what others have said. I understand things in my mind, but when I express that understanding to someone else, I have a hard time knowing what words to use. So this is my way of trying to get through it.

Ok, so Elder D. Todd Christofferson talked about how the Atonement of Jesus Christ is what makes the whole plan perfect. It would be a horrible plan without the ability to repent and return to Heavenly Father, with a body. He mentioned Alma 12:32. He emphasized that "God gave them commandments, after having made known until them the plan of redemption..." God knew from the beginning that his sons and daughters needed to hear the plan first in order for them to understand why there are commandments. We should talk and teach more about the plan of salvation. We need to align ourselves to God's plan and think celestial.

Elder Steven D. Shumway talked about covenants and the garment. He said we should embrace the covenant. Keeping covenants gives us access to Godly power. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal Potential

"I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks). It is our faith that as sons and daughters of God, we have the potential to become like him. Satan likes it when we doubt this. He doesn't want us to believe we have potential to become better than we are. He wants us to fall. My question is whether it is my own mind that makes me doubt or if it is Satan. Maybe it's both. I do have the tendency to doubt that I could have so much potential.  I am always getting those voices in my head that give me doubt. I get an idea to do something and if I don't hurry and do it, I doubt myself, then I talk myself out of it. Why is it so easy to put ourselves down? Is that Satan or is it ourselves? I have so many ideas of things that I want to accomplish but I don't get them done because I can't keep that motivation. It's frustrating. I build my motivation again and then I lose it. It...

Lectures on Faith

"When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected, they are like him; and because he is saved, they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is."

Elder Bednar

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts from last night. I was really lucky to go and see Elder Bednar speak. He didn't prepare a talk, he just opened it up for questions. One of the questions was something like, "How can we apply the atonement more fully in our lives?" I was excited to hear his response when he mentioned my favorite scripture, Mosiah 3:19. He said that the natural man is selfish and wants whatever he desires right then and no later. It is hard to overcome the natural man. In fact we cannot do it on our own. We need the Saviors help to "become a saint" by applying the atonement to our lives. The atonement doesn't only deal with forgiveness for our sins. It gives strengthening power. Elder Bednar also went to Mosiah 24: 13-15. In verse 13 it mentions the covenants we make and the covenants that the Lord makes. The promises Heavenly Father has made to us when we do our part are so wonderful. I'm sure if I could remember those pr...