Skip to main content

Listening to the Prophets and Apostles

I listened to most of conference today and I thought I'd write some thoughts before they leave me. It is always frustrating when you think of so many things that uplift you and make you want to do better and then you forget. I wrote notes and so I hope I will go back and look at them and set my goals to be better.

I loved all the talks I heard but there were a few talks that really stuck out to me the most. The first one is by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. He spoke of Hope. I was so grateful to hear his words. I feel that I am blessed with always having some hope in things. I don't feel like I'm a negative person and I try to see the good side of things instead of the bad. It still is hard sometimes to find hope in the future when it is so unpredictable. President Uchtdorf talked about how hope gives us eternal happiness. How could we be happy if we do not have hope? He also said that "with hope we can have patience and go through our afflictions." (I didn't write down notes word for word so if you happen to be looking for his exact words than you'll have to find those somewhere else.)

The part of his talk that really hit me the most is that happiness and blessings will not only be given in the next life but in this one as well. This is something that I've heard time and again but it didn't mean as much to me as it does now. I was thinking that I can't wait until after we are out of this world so that we can experience all the happiness and not be burdened with the temptations of Satan and the many trials that the earth brings us. I still am excited for that, but I needed to be thinking more of the happiness that I can have on this earth now. I do experience so much happiness and it seems like it always comes from family. They give me more happiness than I could ever get from any worldly experience or thing. So I want to have more hope in this life that I'm living right now.

Elder D. Todd Christofferson spoke a great talk about Zion. That is something that I've been studying about with my husband and so it was nice to hear from an Apostle about the same subject. His main points of what Zion consists of is that the people have unity, Godliness and charity. He talked about a lot of things I liked and I wish that our stakes could have more of these attributes to make our own Zion. We are able to do it. There shouldn't be anything stopping us. I realized that I should be working on being better so that if there is a Zion then I could be apart of it.

Now the last one that I'll mention was from Elder Bednar. I like listening to him. He is straightforward and easy to understand. He talked about prayer and why we should have morning prayers. He said that the Lord said that he created everything spiritually in heaven before it was physically on earth. He related that to our morning prayers. We should start our days spiritually before we go through our physical responsibilities. We need those prayers to help us during our days in all the decisions we make. Then he said that evening prayers are like a report of our day of how we did. We should give thanks for the Lords help that day and to repent of those things we did wrong that day. I have realized how easy it is to sin and how many reminders we need all day to keep us in line. Everything that Heavenly Father has commanded us to do: pray morning and night, read our scriptures with our family and by ourselves, have family home evening, go to church every week, and go to the temple are there to help us. Heavenly Father knows how easy it is for us to forget and how powerful Satan is tempting us.

Well tomorrow is more conference and I'm excited to hear more. I'm excited about the 5 temples that were announced today. It is wonderful to see the church getting bigger all the time. I wish I could let people know what they are missing. We are all so loved by our Lord and His Son. I'm so overly grateful for them and for the Holy Ghost to help me day after day.

Comments

Patty said…
I never look at this blog but I plan to begin. I enjoy the little reminders and the new education that comes. I liked the talk by Elder Bednar as well because I need a constant reminder to pray in the mornings. I have always had a hard time with this and I plan to start my goal yet again. Thanks Michelle.

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond Grateful

I feel a strong urge to shout out my gratefulness to God. I keep thinking today of how blessed I am. I feel so incredibly blessed. I am so happy that I have the knowledge that God is watching over me and helps me find my way. I am so overjoyed that I know, without a single doubt, that He is there for me and everyone else. My crazy life has been in shambles for a long time and yesterday felt like it couldn't get much worse. But today I feel so calm and ready to face my future with optimism. I could have chosen different ways to deal with my problems, but I am glad that I chose this one. I know that I would not feel this peaceful feeling if I chose any other way. I understand better when the prophets in the scriptures talk about having a desire to proclaim the gospel to everyone. Why wouldn't you want to feel such happiness? Any worldly way cannot bring ultimate and long term happiness. So I want to repeat what those prophets have said, "Come unto Christ." He has gone t

A Noteworthy Quote

"But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions.(see 1 kings 18:21) President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had 'never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional or political life.' "This is hard doctrine, but it is particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. . . . Your discipleship may see the time when such religious convictions are discounted. . . . This new irreligious imperialism seeks to disallow certain opinions simply because those opinions grow out of religious convictions. "Resistance to abortion

Inspiring Scripture

I just wanted to write that I am so grateful for all that I'm blessed with. I feel so lucky to have the gift of the Holy Ghost. I can't imagine making such big decisions without guidance from the Holy Ghost. Last night I read 2 Nephi 24. One scripture stood out more than the rest. Verse 3: And it shall come to pass in that day that the Lord shall give thee rest, from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve. Heavenly Father talks to us in different ways. Through other people, the Holy Ghost, and from the scriptures. I know that the Lord was talking to me through the scriptures and it gave me such great comfort. Anyone can pray to Heavenly Father. It doesn't matter where you are in life. He wants to hear from us. He loves us so much.