Skip to main content

Learning From the Lord's Disciples

I am troubled by what is going on in our county. I know that Heavenly Father must look down at us and feel very sad. I was reading and watching something online and a talk from this last General Conference came into my mind. It was from Elder Robert D. Hales. We sat and watched it and it made me happy to know that we can turn to the Prophet and the Apostles for direction, and that direction comes from our Heavenly Father. I wanted to put a quote from Elder Hales's talk that I thought was something I should remember. 

"As true disciples, our primary
concern must be others’ welfare, not
personal vindication. Questions and
criticisms give us an opportunity to
reach out to others and demonstrate
that they matter to our Heavenly
Father and to us. Our aim should be
to help them understand the truth,
not defend our egos or score points
in a theological debate. Our heartfelt
testimonies are the most powerful
answer we can give our accusers. And
such testimonies can only be borne in
love and meekness."

There are times when I get angry and want to put my defenses up. But this made me think of how I should love others, no matter what their beliefs are and how much wrong they can do me. God's commandments include: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Comments

Patty said…
It is always comforting to know that we can find peace by following the prophets. I would love to be able to posts some things on here. It's neat to be able to share our thoughts about the gospel.

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal Potential

"I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks). It is our faith that as sons and daughters of God, we have the potential to become like him. Satan likes it when we doubt this. He doesn't want us to believe we have potential to become better than we are. He wants us to fall. My question is whether it is my own mind that makes me doubt or if it is Satan. Maybe it's both. I do have the tendency to doubt that I could have so much potential.  I am always getting those voices in my head that give me doubt. I get an idea to do something and if I don't hurry and do it, I doubt myself, then I talk myself out of it. Why is it so easy to put ourselves down? Is that Satan or is it ourselves? I have so many ideas of things that I want to accomplish but I don't get them done because I can't keep that motivation. It's frustrating. I build my motivation again and then I lose it. It...

Lectures on Faith

"When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected, they are like him; and because he is saved, they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is."

Elder Bednar

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts from last night. I was really lucky to go and see Elder Bednar speak. He didn't prepare a talk, he just opened it up for questions. One of the questions was something like, "How can we apply the atonement more fully in our lives?" I was excited to hear his response when he mentioned my favorite scripture, Mosiah 3:19. He said that the natural man is selfish and wants whatever he desires right then and no later. It is hard to overcome the natural man. In fact we cannot do it on our own. We need the Saviors help to "become a saint" by applying the atonement to our lives. The atonement doesn't only deal with forgiveness for our sins. It gives strengthening power. Elder Bednar also went to Mosiah 24: 13-15. In verse 13 it mentions the covenants we make and the covenants that the Lord makes. The promises Heavenly Father has made to us when we do our part are so wonderful. I'm sure if I could remember those pr...