Skip to main content

The Gift of Prayer

I have been thinking about this powerful gift that the Lord has given us. I think it's pretty amazing how we have this gift. I think of all the gifts Heavenly Father has given us, this is the one that I couldn't do without. The realization that someone is actually listening to me when I'm praying is a great comfort. I also have felt a great comfort in how He is listening to others when I cannot help in any way. It is our communication to God. A way to check in every morning and night. A way to repent. A way to give gratitude for all that He gives us. A way to ask for things that we need, like answers. So many gifts come because Heavenly Father has given us this chance to communicate with Him.

I've been reading the words of Jesus in the scriptures. I have read over and over again these verses. It is in 3 Nephi 18: 18-21:

18 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.

19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;

20 And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.

21 Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.

Satan does not want us to pray. He knows the power of prayer. He knows that when you plead with Heavenly Father, you feel the Spirit. Satan doesn't give you that peaceful feeling. I know that prayer gives great comfort. Heavenly Father wants to hear from his children. 

Comments

Patty said…
This last semester while Dallon was so busy and we were very confused about many things, I learned a valuable lesson of relying on the Lord more and using the power of prayer. I felt the spirit in my life more as I prayed more sincerely. I have always had a very strong testimony that our Heavenly Father is there listening to our prayers, that He cares for us and answers our prayers. We are His children and He loves us.

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal Potential

"I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks). It is our faith that as sons and daughters of God, we have the potential to become like him. Satan likes it when we doubt this. He doesn't want us to believe we have potential to become better than we are. He wants us to fall. My question is whether it is my own mind that makes me doubt or if it is Satan. Maybe it's both. I do have the tendency to doubt that I could have so much potential.  I am always getting those voices in my head that give me doubt. I get an idea to do something and if I don't hurry and do it, I doubt myself, then I talk myself out of it. Why is it so easy to put ourselves down? Is that Satan or is it ourselves? I have so many ideas of things that I want to accomplish but I don't get them done because I can't keep that motivation. It's frustrating. I build my motivation again and then I lose it. It...

Lectures on Faith

"When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected, they are like him; and because he is saved, they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is."

Elder Bednar

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts from last night. I was really lucky to go and see Elder Bednar speak. He didn't prepare a talk, he just opened it up for questions. One of the questions was something like, "How can we apply the atonement more fully in our lives?" I was excited to hear his response when he mentioned my favorite scripture, Mosiah 3:19. He said that the natural man is selfish and wants whatever he desires right then and no later. It is hard to overcome the natural man. In fact we cannot do it on our own. We need the Saviors help to "become a saint" by applying the atonement to our lives. The atonement doesn't only deal with forgiveness for our sins. It gives strengthening power. Elder Bednar also went to Mosiah 24: 13-15. In verse 13 it mentions the covenants we make and the covenants that the Lord makes. The promises Heavenly Father has made to us when we do our part are so wonderful. I'm sure if I could remember those pr...