Skip to main content

How Important is Faith?

It seems like the Ensign has the right articles that I need to hear. Of course the conference ones are wonderful. I've never really read an entire Ensign magazine until recently. I didn't know how wonderful they were. There was actually an article this month called Coming to Know for Ourselves by Elder Kenneth Johnson. He said some good things that have been on my mind lately. So you should read it when you get a chance. There is a convenient link to it. 

It has been on mind lately that I need to know for sure what my faith is. It needs to be a faith that I have come to know myself and not borrowed from family or other church members. In Elder Johnson's article he says, "If our faith is rooted in the sandy soil of reason and logic, it will be swept away by a rising tide driven by the escalating winds of opposition. A faith founded in Jesus Christ and on the rock of revelation will endure through the fiercest storms of life (see Helaman 5:12)." 

I didn't realize how important our faith is. It is such a vital part of the Gospel. I've been reading Lectures of Faith prepared by Joseph Smith.  There is a lot in it that are obvious but you don't think about it. For example he says in the sixth lecture, 

"For doubt and faith do not exist in the same person at the same time; so that persons whose minds are under doubts and fears cannot have unshaken confidence; and where unshaken confidence is no there faith is weak; and where faith is weak the persons will not be able to contend against all the opposition, tribulations, and afflictions which they will have to encounter in order to be heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ Jesus; and they will grow weary in their minds, and the adversary will have power over them and destroy them."

This book is pretty deep and it is very thought provoking. I want to have more faith. It is so easy for our minds to doubt and rationalize things.  It's only by studying for ourselves and praying that we can have more faith and be fully converted to the Lord. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal Potential

"I am a child of God with a spirit lineage to heavenly parents. That parentage defines our eternal potential" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks). It is our faith that as sons and daughters of God, we have the potential to become like him. Satan likes it when we doubt this. He doesn't want us to believe we have potential to become better than we are. He wants us to fall. My question is whether it is my own mind that makes me doubt or if it is Satan. Maybe it's both. I do have the tendency to doubt that I could have so much potential.  I am always getting those voices in my head that give me doubt. I get an idea to do something and if I don't hurry and do it, I doubt myself, then I talk myself out of it. Why is it so easy to put ourselves down? Is that Satan or is it ourselves? I have so many ideas of things that I want to accomplish but I don't get them done because I can't keep that motivation. It's frustrating. I build my motivation again and then I lose it. It...

Lectures on Faith

"When men begin to live by faith they begin to draw near to God; and when faith is perfected, they are like him; and because he is saved, they are saved also; for they will be in the same situation he is in, because they have come to him; and when he appears they shall be like him, for they will see him as he is."

Elder Bednar

I thought I'd write down some of my thoughts from last night. I was really lucky to go and see Elder Bednar speak. He didn't prepare a talk, he just opened it up for questions. One of the questions was something like, "How can we apply the atonement more fully in our lives?" I was excited to hear his response when he mentioned my favorite scripture, Mosiah 3:19. He said that the natural man is selfish and wants whatever he desires right then and no later. It is hard to overcome the natural man. In fact we cannot do it on our own. We need the Saviors help to "become a saint" by applying the atonement to our lives. The atonement doesn't only deal with forgiveness for our sins. It gives strengthening power. Elder Bednar also went to Mosiah 24: 13-15. In verse 13 it mentions the covenants we make and the covenants that the Lord makes. The promises Heavenly Father has made to us when we do our part are so wonderful. I'm sure if I could remember those pr...